Converse Casual Shoes For Women
In Gates, we found the community spirit to be neighborly, despite the separation by the North Santiam River.
post office and community art center, the Western style City Hall, an architecturally handsome new fire station that also serves as a community Converse Casual Shoes For Women meeting place, and the new water plant.
We piled into her car and she drove us around, pointing out the city's features. These include the little cottage style Buy Converse Shoes Online Australia
The "downtown" section of Gates is on both sides of the highway, but to the west you will find the municipal services. By mid October, we had learned to arrive in a Marion County city on a weekday, not the weekend, and to make our first contact the City Hall. We were fortunate in Gates: Judy Downer, the city recorder, offered us to a tour.
Today, with a size of 0.6 square miles and a population of 471, the city supports more than 200 households.
Gates displays a true neighborly spirit
Gates has been a community of welcome since 1880.
In that year, Albert and Mary Gates, who had settled on 80 acres that today include the present downtown, opened their home as the Pioneer House. It began as a hotel for the railway workers on the proposed Willamette Valley and Coast Railroad (Oregon Pacific). When another settler refused to donate land to the railroad, Mary Gates gave sufficient land for a Y, a depot and a section house. The railway company used the name Gatesville, and so the city began.
We found many riverfront homes are on this Marion County side of the river, including two examples of historic architecture. Driving east on Riverview Street, we Converse Navy Women
In 1888, the year the rail line was completed, Harrison and Lulu Smith incorporated the Kings Prairie and Quartzville Wagon Road. A subsequent mining boom brought Gates additional hotels, assay offices, stores and related businesses.
crossed the new bridge, replacing those past structures that collapsed or were flooded out, into Linn County. Here, we glimpsed farm residences and wide fields, a horse camp, the emergency airstrip, several churches, the historic school and cemetery.
Our photographs show why Gates is definitely a place to stay whether for an hour's visit, overnight or as a country residence.
Gates was featured 37 years later in a Statesman Journal article of July 26, 1987, headlined "Museum auction draws hundreds." It describes the auction of collectibles by Velma Haley and her late husband, Paul. Converse All Star Womens Trainers
Of special interest on the Linn County side are three sites. First is a dirt track airstrip, decorated along the edge with two abandoned airplanes. Next is a historic schoolhouse, which was unfortunately closed with the local students bused to Mill City. And, at the end of our tour, we visited Fairview Cemetery on Gates School Road. It has a recently constructed roofed pavilion that acts as a resource for locating graves. Downer pointed out that in winter, when there is snow, the elaborate headstones appear as ghostly chessmen on a giant board. Mount Horeb acts as a dramatic background for photographs. Several businesses on the highway include a restaurant, market, wood carving business and best of all a motel, the only one between Stayton and Detroit as you drive east. Gates plans a Christmas celebration around the new city park gazebo.
She decided to put the museum and it contents up for sale after her husband died that May. The proceeds were to finance her retirement. The museum had been closed the last eight years because of vandalism and increased insurance costs. Residents said they were glad to see the auction take place because it gave them an opportunity to view the artifacts. Such a local museum would be a treasure today.
Gates continued being a boomtown into the early 1900s, supplying the mines and there are still lost mines in the area. As typical of the rough justice of early western towns, Gates had a "High Noon shoot out on May 7, 1909, said to have been caused by too much drink. Two men died and the woman in the case left town." A medical emergency hit the community that fall: An outbreak of typhoid effected many residents of Gates. However, that emergency passed and a civic spirit arose with several fraternal orders established in area: Odd Fellows and Rebekahs, Ancient Order of United Workers, Masonic Lodge and Order of the Eastern Star, Maccabees, and the Women's Benefit Association.
The name of the local post office was a subject of controversy. The one established in 1882 on the south side of the Santiam River was named Henness, to honor the first postmaster Jane Henness. The name was changed to Rock Creek in 1883. About 1892, W. R. Robertson, then postmaster, moved the post office to the north side of the river to "Gatesville" and the name was changed to Gates, to honor Mary Gates. According to Mrs. J. P. McCurdy, postmaster in 1925: "There was much opposition to the adoption of the new name of Gates by the older settlers who wished to retain the name Rock Creek, A petition was signed to keep the old name. The party circulating the petition got drunk and lost it, therefore the name Gates remained."
Fires were always a hazard in pioneer communities with wooden buildings: A major blaze on February 1939 destroyed the city's business district. By the next year, they were rebuilt, and electricity reached Gates for the first time. The city was incorporated in 1950.
The location of the community, along both sides of the North Santiam River caused at least two problems. The covered bridge used by school children was built too close to the water and washed out in 1887. Everyone returned to using the "ferry": a bucket arrangement on a high cable. The next permanent covered bridge was lifted by a high wind in 1901 and set down on the river bottom. Today's modern bridge, dividing the city between Marion and Linn counties, faces no such hazards.
Converse Casual Shoes For Women
Converse White Slim Trainers